Despite being creative people, sometimes we lack inspiration. The challenge of a blank page staring back at you can be overcome in a number of ways:
- Go for a walk: It is actually scientifically proven to help you think and be creative. Read more about the science here.
- Have a beer: Beer is scientifically proven to help you be more creative. After creativity hits, though, you should probably have a coffee… Read more about the science of this here.
- Automatic writing: This is a gift from the surrealist movement in Spain, but is based on the premise that our conscious brain actually hinders what we want to say. Step back and just start writing, anything. This technique could fill an entire book itself, so rather read about it here in detail.
- Meditate: I don’t think that this one needs much explanation. During meditation, allow the thoughts to flow freely while parking–consciously–your need in the background. You may be surprised what pops into your head, much like (3) above.
- Find what works for you: Here is a much longer list that you can try for other techniques to find creativity…
We all get stuck in a creative rut from time to time. This is natural. Don’t beat yourself up about it, but rather use it as an excuse to try something different!